Friday, April 10, 2009

Intentions

I once read somewhere, or heard somewhere, that if you write your goals down, you are more likely to achieve them. And along with that, in the process of writing this post, I originally named it "Goals". But then I noticed the previous post name and did not want to confuse anybody or risk too much redundancy so I went to my trusty thesaurus and came up with the word intention. I like that better because it seems a bit more proactive, like even though I am putting it out to universe, I am in control of my own destiny and my ability to make these things happen.

So there are several intentions that I have for my life that I want to put out to the universe. I have never really aspired to things like wealth so hopefully by not putting that out there, I am not condemning myself to a life of struggle but it is not going to make this list. Maybe I will write it down somewhere just to be safe. But anyhoo, here goes, in no particular order:

1. A graduate education - I am not sure how far I want to pursue my education, i.e. masters or Ph D, but I do know that I want more education. I am in the process of applying for school now so it feels imminent but still far out of reach. In part, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up so I am having trouble deciding what to study, which brings me to...

2. Peace in my career - I have always been somewhat tormented by the decisions I have made in my professional career. Though I love many aspects of my path, there are also many shades of gray and gray is not necessarily my favorite color. I am striving to feel good in my career, confident, capable, challenged and continually growing.

3. The Amber _________ - Scholarship fund, park bench, library...I don't know what I want it to be but I have always wanted something to be named after me because then I know that I left an impression on the lives of the people I surround myself with. I was once riding my bike on a trail and there was a bench there that had a little plaque with a dedication. It was an out of the way bench that not many people would see or know about but it was there and somebody took the time to dedicate it because they were so impacted by a the dedicated person's life. That means something to me, I want to have the same impact.

4. I want my daughter (and any subsequent children) to grow up a good person and still like me - I am off to a good start, she is the best thing I have ever done but she is only 20 months so I still have a long way to go. I hope I do right by her and she grows into a bigger and better version of what me and her dad have to offer and when she is done growing, or at least out of my house, I hope she is still one of my best friends.

5. I want to be able to afford the silent auction trips - Or rather big ticket items at silent auctions. I love the concept of the silent auction and I have always enjoyed every purchase I have ever made, right down to my sonic tooth brush. Having said that, there are many things that I am quite sure I would enjoy that I am just unable to afford so cannot even participate in the bidding process. So I guess this is the goal about riches and wealth, but a little more simple. I don't need big money, I just want to be able to go to the silent auction and be able to afford the 5 day, 4 night stay in Vegas, or whatever.

6. Personal Trainer - Or expensive exercise really, otherwise known as my other wealth goal. But really I just want to be able to pay for exercise facilitated by someone other than myself that I enjoy and that keeps me in shape. I need guidance to do hard work, ie aerobics class, karate class, boot camp, soccer. I don't do well with individual motivation, I need something to work towards and I want to be able to afford it without thinking about it as a waste of money.

So not a long list or exhaustive by any stretch, but all things definitely worth putting out to the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment